Aviva and MicroTraffic are working together to offer grants to government agencies in order to improve road safety in dangerous intersections

Find out if you're eligible for a MicroTraffic grant Arrow right

Background

Last year Aviva Canada launched a new social responsibility platform called Take Back Our Roads. The platform focuses on road safety and reducing the over 156,000 injuries and deaths that occur on Canadian roads each year.


As part of this new program, Aviva Canada is working with MicroTraffic. The project is designed to provide MicroTraffic’s intersection safety analysis to municipal, regional and provincial government departments with responsibility for intersection and road safety. There is more on MicroTraffic and their work below.

 

The analysis will be provided through a cost sharing initiative between Aviva Canada and the selected government department. Aviva will cover 75% of the costs associated with MicroTraffic’s work and the government department will cover the other 25%.


MicroTraffic will provide a video near miss analysis on each intersection studied to the government department, which will include some high level recommendations to improve the intersection’s safety. Should the department choose to make changes to the intersection, based on MicroTraffic’s recommendation, Aviva Canada will provide 100% of the funding for MicroTraffic to reassess the intersection’s safety after those changes have been made.


We plan to execute this analysis on 10 intersections in each of the five locations selected for grants. The cost of running the analysis is $5,000 per intersection. $50,000 total for each of the five locations chosen. This means the government department responsible for a budget of $12,500 or $1,250 per intersection.

The timelines associated with this granting project are detailed below:

Applications open:

August 11, 2020

Applications close:

September 8, 2020

Deadline extended:

September 15, 2020

Project Start:

September 29, 2020

Video Collection:

September 29 – October 31, 2020

MicroTraffic Analysis:

October 31 – December 31, 2020

Recommendations Report on analysis:

January 31, 2021

MicroTraffic's Near Miss Video Analysis

MicroTraffic is a road safety diagnostic data startup that uses computer vision to leverage the emerging field of surrogate safety in traffic engineering. MicroTraffic measures near-misses between all user types, including vehicles, cyclists, pedestrians, and e-scooters. For each near-miss configuration, MicroTraffic reports on the frequency of near-misses and provides a comparison of that frequency to benchmarks to identify abnormally high risks.


MicroTraffic uses a risk measurement technique that assesses crash likelihood and crash injury potential for every conflicting interaction. The technique leverages data on conflict speeds, angles, road user types, and temporal separation. MicroTraffic’s near-miss measurement technique has been shown in award winning research by Ryerson University to have strong predictive power on long-term injury crash probability.


More than 30 government departments including in Los Angeles, Austin, Detroit, New Jersey, Montreal, Calgary, and Edmonton have conducted pilots with MicroTraffic’s technology that have triggered more than $200 million in built environment improvement decisions.

Granting Information and eligibility:

  • Grants are open to any provincial, municipal, or regional government department serving a constituency of at least 100,000 in population with oversight over intersection and road safety.
  • Departments submitting applications must be responsible for at least 10 intersections with traffic volumes at or exceeding 10,000 cars per day on one of the roads. Highway on and off ramps are not eligible for MicroTraffic’s near miss analysis.
  • Departments that submit applications agree to collaborate with Aviva Canada and MicroTraffic on mutually acceptable external communications about the program including media relations, public relations and social media communications.
  • Selection is based on Aviva and MicroTraffic’s assessment of the government department’s commitment to road safety, commitment to collaboration and size of market/population.

Please note you will not be able to save your progress once you begin this application. It should take approximately one hour to complete.

For any questions or concerns, please email TakeBackOurRoads@Aviva.com