MOTORCYCLISTS: START YOUR ENGINES!
Riders from coast to coast are pulling out their favourite two-wheeled vehicles to enjoy the open road for another season.
This year, you might have more company on the roads than ever. The Motorcycle and Moped Industry Council is reporting that motorcycle sales are up 75 per cent so far this year and they’re forecasting double- and triple-digit year-over-year sales growth in Canada. This includes everything from street to competition to off-road to mini bikes and scooters.
May is Motorcycle Safety Awareness month
With more riders sharing the roads with other vehicles, it’s crucial to ensure you’re riding as safely as possible. Here are some important tips to consider as you prepare for a fun season:
- Inspect and take care of all required maintenance. Be sure your motorcycle is road-worthy before you take it out.
- Take a good look at your protective gear. Be sure your helmet and riding jacket, pants and other gear are still in good condition. Replace anything that appears worn or does not fit as snugly.
- Cover all your bases. Share your route, ride with a partner and carry your mobile phone. Cover all your bases. If you experience a breakdown or other emergency, you’ll have ample back-up.
- If you’re going to ‘lane split’, do it safely. Many experienced riders understand how to ride their motorcycle between lanes or rows of slow or stopped traffic heading in the same direction. Here are some guidelines from the Motorcyclists Confederation of Canada on how to do it as safely as possible.
- Watch your speed. Whether you’re zipping around the city or winding down a long country road, be aware of speed limits and possible hazards, such as pedestrians and wildlife.
- Ride sober and undistracted. Keep yourself and everyone else safe by being as alert as possible whenever you’re on your motorcycle.
The right insurance can make a big difference
The Canadian motorcycle season is a short one. It’s important to have insurance coverage that reflects the unique needs of riders who intend to make the most of every month their motorcycle is out of storage.
Aviva’s RideLife* coverage insures more than 100,000 motorcycles and off-road vehicles across Canada, providing the protection you need so you can enjoy every moment of being on the road. You can depend on comprehensive standard coverage, plus optional protection that can be tailored to your motorcycle and your lifestyle.
Aviva’s Take Back Our Roads salutes all motorcycle riders who are as committed to road safety as we are. Thank you for doing your part to make our roads safer for all Canadians. Welcome back to riding!
*Aviva Ridelife is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Company of Canada, Elite Insurance Company and RBC Insurance. This document is for informational purposes only. The insurance products described in this document are subject to terms, conditions, restrictions and exclusions, which are outlined in our final policy wording. Please speak with your Aviva insurance broker if you would like to learn more.